Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Sentence You Are by Ally Poulter

Author's note: In school we are exploring poetry and our inner poets. This is a poem I wrote about how I want the world to remember me, I hope you enjoy it! Poetry hasn't ever really been a strong writing style for me, but I did my best!


Life is a blank canvas,
an empty page,
a solemn face,
until you make something of it.
Until you light the torch
and spark creativity
and imagination.
Until you ignite your dreams,
and watch them blossom and grow into something much larger.
Life is like a book,
and you are a sentence.
You have the power
to be a very meaningful sentence in that book.
To be a sentence
that touches someone’s heart,
that makes an impact on that book.
You have the power
to inspire
and direct what you have to say,
what you mean,
and what you want to represent
in that book.
In life.
You have the power
to make an impact
on people.
Even if it’s only one person,
out of Seven billion humans in this world.

I want to make an impact.
That is my dream,
that is the torch I want to ignite.
I want to be remembered as a meaningful sentence,
A sentence, with words that mattered to people
words that mattered to someone.
I want my page to be marked in that book
So people will never forget
my sentence
and the words I have to say.
That is my dream.
That is my hope for the future.
That is who I hope to be.

                       

5 comments:

  1. Not a strong writing style for you? That was a beautiful poem! I love the words you used and my favorite part was the sentence/book comparison but the whole poem was wonderful. I finished that poem thinking the same thoughts you think when finishing Thanksgiving dinner - that it was filling, delicious, and just enough. Keep Writing Great Things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no doubt you will make an impact Ally. Keep writing. I love reading your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ally,
    My Name is Kara Corlett. I am a teacher studying to get my Master's degree. I am taking a class to learn about technology in the classroom and how it will help students learn better. We are looking at #comments4kids on Twitter and that is how I found this blog. I have to say that I think your poem is great! I know that you said it was not a strength for you but I think that you are an awesome writer and you should keep writing and improving. Have you thought about taking a creative writing class to help you learn new techniques to writing? You have a written about a subject that every human being thinks about. I think every person thinks about making an impact and being remembered. I know that this is one of the reasons that I became a teacher, in order to help make a positive impact on my students. I think that if you continue to keep writing you will impact a lot of people. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ally!

    My name is Cait and I am a special education teacher who is currently enrolled in a class on technology. I was recently introduced to #comments4kids, and I must say your writing is absolutely amazing. "The Sentence You Are" is an exceedingly creative and well-written poem. I like the analogies you made between life and a book. My favorite line is "I want my page to be marked in that book so people will never forget my sentence and the words I have to say". This is such a powerful statement! I also like how you bolded specific words in the poem to draw the reader's attention to them. Ally, I know you revealed that writing poetry is not your strong suit, but you are a poet and an incredible writer. Your writing seems effortless, which is truly a gift. As I read your work, I was reminded of my younger sister. She recently graduated with a degree in communications and journalism. She is moving to Nashville in the coming months to pursue a career in song writing. She has a passion for writing, just like you. Do you think you will pursue an education or career in writing? Possibilities are endless for writers. You can be anywhere in the world, and still write. I hope you continue to practice your writing and express yourself on this blog. Your thoughts alone can impact the world.

    Keep dreaming,
    Cait

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks your blog is extremely helpful . i like it. visit more info Skype Support and Call +1-800-231-4635 USA (Toll Free).

    ReplyDelete